Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Oh boy...


this semester is going to be crazy! Between 18 hours of graduate assistant work, 12 credit hours, orchestra and practicing, I'm going to be running quite a bit. I'm taking:

Private Conducting lessons
English Diction/IPA
Music History and Research
Independent Study: Orchestral Repertoire

My graduate assistantship is in the following:
6 hours - Theory III (This is very ironic, but basically I grade homework/tests, tutor and set up the class room)
6 hours - Orchestra (Setting up the orchestra seats, taking care of the music library and conducting)
3 hours - Basic Conducting (Co-teaching and also help with set-up)
2 hours - Music Office (working in the music office, answering phones, etc.)
1 hour - House Manager (working at recitals/concerts where I set up the hall, turn on lights, set out programs, watch the door so no one is walking around while people are playing, etc.)

So yeah, it's a bit insane. I like it so far. All the professors and staff are really nice! I can tell that I'm going to learn a lot here. The only thing I'm bummed about now is the conducting lesson I just came from. I know I'm here to learn, but I have this awful need for perfection and it really gets me down sometimes. I love conducting so much and I really just want to get up there and do it, but there is a lot to learn first. Hopefully, I will be on the podium soon.

For something to listen to, here is one of Beethoven's symphonies. Symphony No. 1. This piece is different because it is Symphony No.1 in C minor, but instead of starting the first movement on a C minor chord, he starts it on a V7 chord. This was very unusual for the time! Beethoven truly was an innovator and I'm sure this made just a few people upset. :) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment